LDC has been active in Kenya since the 1950s. Today, we are one of the country’s leading wheat, coffee and vegetable oils merchandizers, with a growing footprint across East Africa.
in East Africa
Our Strengths in Kenya
As a major agricultural player with a strong global presence, we leverage our diverse and widespread geographical footprint, both to bring locally grown products to international markets and to supply Kenya with international products.
- Coffee – LDC has established itself as one of the country’s largest coffee merchants, responsibly sourcing through the Kenyan coffee auctions, working directly with some of Kenya’s most talented coffee producers and exporting to key markets such as the US, Japan and Singapore.
- Grains – We are a major merchant and distributor of wheat in East Africa, with occasional maize merchandizing activities, subject to market conditions.
- Oilseeds – We are a major importer of palm oil products for refineries in East Africa, with occasional soy merchandizing activities, subject to market conditions.
We build long-term relationships based on trust with our business partners both up and downstream, complementing rather than competing with them, and operating our business to global quality and ethical standards to meet our stakeholders’ expectations.
Our Operations and Assets
LDC is a major product importer into East Africa, including grains and palm oil for millers and refineries through the ports of Mombasa and Dar es Salaam, as well as an important exporter of locally-grown Arabica coffee, considered to be among the world’s top premium coffees.
We directly employ over 60 people in the country, and our activities generate many more indirect jobs throughout the region.
To support these operations, we currently operate two major facilities in the country:
- Mombasa: an oilseeds storage facility, with a storage capacity of 42,000 MT
- Nairobi: a coffee storage and processing facility, with annual processing capacity of over 6,000 MT and storage capacity of 3,100 MT